Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Phoenix Indoor Range

Phoenix League Night Match/Copy Template and Guide 14 Dec 2018 16:14 #22492

• XMIKE
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 53
Hi all
I believe the following is worth the effort and it is needed to help us grow as a League and within IPSC. I started putting my thoughts to paper and the next thing I knew I had a document.
This is a working document that can be adjusted it will allow a Match Director to take it and adjust it.
Thanks
Mike Russnak Sr. (I have to note that because my son is now shooting with us.)

The perfect storm happened on Dec. 1st. at Phoenix League Night.
We had 25 eager shooters participating, with a lot of them being new to IPSC and Phoenix League night – which is excellent.
Unfortunately, we had didn’t really have anyone step up and take charge until about 20 minutes into the set up, thanks Allan. So we wound up starting and finishing late.
There were a lot of questions and comments around:
How can I help? What do you want me to do? What goes where? I wish someone was running this…. Why does this happen every League Night? We need a drill, where’s the Range box, we don’t have any tape. All good questions and reasonable requests, which are totally understandable.
I don’t run Phoenix League Night - fact is nobody does, and I don’t work for Phoenix but I’ll do my best to step up and help where I can and stretch to help where I’m needed. I believe this is the spirit of IPSC and any great volunteer sporting association.
I’ll also say that I stand on the shoulders of giants at League Night – Dr. Dave, the other Dave’s, Dmitri, Jeff, Boris, Ivan, Josh, Trisca, Merek, Sam, Steve, Amanda, Todd, Derek and I’m sure I forgot others. Thanks to all, you all.
In the spirt of IPSC and League Night and with Len Kucey’s approval – thanks Len,
I decided to create and release the attached Phoenix League Night Match Copy with a couple of guidelines throw in.
The intent to is educate, change the existing process into a better one and allow competitors to use this Copy as a template and starting point.
Instructions are – use the Copy circle the target and types you want, identify props you want to use for each Stage and figure out a Start procedure for each Stage. If you don’t see a prop like a barrier, pencil one in.
The Tablet Master and the R.O.’s can input the Match and run the Stages based on what they see and instruction regarding the Starts.
I’m stepping up to take on the role of Match Director at the Dec. 15 Phoenix League Night.
We have 8 more League Nights after Dec. 15th., what night would you like to be Match Director?
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kenjuudo, ndabrens, CZLeigh, RufusParnell

Phoenix League Night Match/Copy Template and Guide 14 Dec 2018 23:41 #22499

• Kenjuudo
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 381
3350-illustration-of-a-yellow-up-arrow-pv.png
The following user(s) said Thank You: XMIKE

Phoenix League Night Match/Copy Template and Guide 15 Dec 2018 12:00 #22500

• tmcmillan
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 201
I think this is a good start. Most importantly come with ideas. More experienced people will love to help you have and mold your idea into something that can work. Always being asked what to do is ok but it's frustrating when no one has any ideas. Helping to plan a league night is a step to MDind an actual match. I personally would love to mentor people so it's not always on my shoulders.

Trisca
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMate, XMIKE

Phoenix League Night Match/Copy Template and Guide 15 Dec 2018 14:04 #22501

• XMIKE
  • NOW ONLINE
Thanks Dave and Trisca, I appreciate your feedback.
Trisca I thank you for your willingness to mentor. Hopefully we will have 8 M.D.'s step up for the rest of the season. As you said, it's a step to M.D.ing at actual match.

Mike

Phoenix Fun League; Jan 19th 20 Jan 2019 19:02 #22685

• Ivan1964
  • Thank you received: 12
I'd like to thank the people who were involved with the stage designs for this Saturday's fun league match. It was the most fun match for me this season. Thanks for taking time to paint the targets and for creating zebra targets as well as the "steel plate simulator".
Having said that, "the plate simulator" didn't quite do it for me, but it was a welcomed challenge. My ageing eyes just couldn't tell if I had hits on "steel" or not.
Since I'm very new to fun league matches, I'm not sure how far we push the envelope and continue to have matches that are fun and challenging and that would be a benefit to IPSC shooter skills and follow IPSC regulations as much as possible.
Who would be the person to talk to to pass some possible stage props ideas in order to keep things interesting and challenging.
Regards!
Dražen Ivan Milanovic
The following user(s) said Thank You: XMIKE, RufusParnell

Phoenix Fun League; Jan 19th 21 Jan 2019 07:05 #22686

• XMIKE
  • NOW ONLINE
Great feedback Drazen.

Kevin aka RufusParnell did an outstanding job as Match Director, the stages were challenging and fun and the plate rack had everyone’s focus, pun intended. It was an easy set up and 28 shooters finishing on time.

The simplest way to implement your ideas is to step up like Kevin and I did and become Match Director at the next Match. It’s a great experience and you get a lot of support from everyone attending and setting up.

On the course design side you can find the Stage Design Template located in the Resources Section under FOR IPSC MATCH DIRECTORS. If you need more tools just PM me.
As far as review of your Ideas/Stages send a PM to a short list (you can pick from any of) Trisca aka Tmcmillan, Josh aka JMATE, Todd aka IPSC38S, Dmitri aka DMITRI, Derek aka derekstephen, Amanda aka Amanda and if you need more names just ask.

If the props cost $ that requires some planning and Dave S. aka Kenjudo would be the person I would start with. Dave can help with determining where the funding would come from and if a discussion with Len Kucey – Owner of Phoenix is required.

If you need help in building props just do a shout out and lots of folks from the League will step up to help.

All the best.
Mike Russnak Sr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RufusParnell

Phoenix Fun League; Jan 19th 21 Jan 2019 09:50 #22687

• Ivan1964
  • Thank you received: 12
Awesome!
Thanks for your info.
Definitely something to think about.
At least now I have names of people that I could pass along some ideas and check with them if something else could be doable and worth trying.
Have a great day!

Phoenix Fun League; Jan 19th 21 Jan 2019 16:11 #22690

• RufusParnell
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 81
Thanks Drazen, appreciate the feedback. It was designed to be a run and gun in the pistol bay, tight shots in the rifle bay, with various forced movement and start positions. I had fun shooting it.

In retrospect, the plate rack was was a little too tight (I dropped a few Mike’s there myself). I meant for it to be difficult, but not *that* difficult. Rifle bay ran a little longer than I thought, all the help with setup/tear down goes a long way to keep us in the good books of the Phoenix staff.

I’ll put more stages together in the future, but I’ll be out of town for work and won’t have much time for awhile.

Member Login

By logging in, I agree to the Terms & Conditions