Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rocky Mountain House

Rocky Mountain House Range 11 Jun 2015 22:22 #12836

• Kenjuudo
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 411
I took a trip out to Rocky Mountain House today to meet with Jason B. (a recent BB student of mine and head of the pistol committee at the range in Rocky Mountain House, The Rocky Gun Club). Jason has been working hard to build the pistol section in Rocky and he and I have been talking about running one or more BB's out there. Jason invited several members of the Club's executive, including the VP, to meet with us at the range and we had an extremely productive conversation.

There seems to be lots of interest and support for running BB's at the Club, as well as considerable interest and support for holding matches at their facility. The range is extremely well maintained, and unlike many others in the Province, it's extremely well suited for the kind of match setups we run. There are a total of 6 pistol bays, 5 of which are arranged in very close proximity to one another, with the 6 (the largest) being about a five minute walk from the rest.

The range itself is only about 10 km from Rocky Mountain House, and having never been to Rocky before, I was immediately impressed with how well appointed the town is for a place that only about 7,500 people call home. The range has ample space for parking, an indoor classroom, a covered "BBQ" building and short of a few extra porta-potties would make an outstanding venue for what we do.

Unfortunately it's a little late in the match schedule I'm afraid to get anything going out there this outdoor season, and the Club itself will need to make some small investment in "props" (although Jason has a great running start in that department already)... but looking forward to next season, I think we may have just found a very welcome addition to the ranges available to us in the North Central Zone (north of Red Deer).

While there's some talking yet to do, it seems very, very likely that we'll run a BB out there this year, and given the very warm reception I received today I'm very optimistic that going forward we'll have a new place to play... and one that's more centrally located than any other I can think of.

Following are a couple of pics of the 5 collocated shooting bays. They're arranged in a bit of a semi-circular pattern around a large "parking area" (for lack of a better way to describe it). The C range is the largest of these 5, the G range being the smallest, but taken together they would provide almost a perfect fit for the 3-2-1 format, and with the inclusion of the J range (not pictured here) we could very easily run a 3-2-2... (3-2-1 given that the C range easily supports "hot" stages).

Much thanks to Jason B. (don't know his alias, but I'm sure he'll show up here shortly) for the efforts, both present and future...!

And now, for your viewing pleasure...

IMAG0513.jpg

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuner

Rocky Mountain House Range 11 Jun 2015 22:36 #12837

• Kenjuudo
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 411
Some additional pics, provided by Jason B. that give a better perspective of the actual bays themselves... including the J range...

IMG_3869-1280.jpg

IMG_3870-1280.jpg

IMG_3872-1280.jpg

IMG_3874-1280.jpg

IMG_3875-1280.jpg

IMG_3888-1280.jpg

IMG_3895-1280.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuner, Skytracker

Rocky Mountain House Range 12 Jun 2015 07:01 #12838

• msroest
  • Thank you received: 7
Looks like it would be a great place to run a match.

Rocky Mountain House Range 12 Jun 2015 07:09 #12839

• SkytopBrewster
Thank you for the review David.
Last Edit: 29 May 2017 21:25 by SkytopBrewster.

Rocky Mountain House Range 12 Jun 2015 07:47 #12841

• ivan
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 107
Given that Rocky is equidistant from the 2 major cities in the province, I don't think there's a better location for a new range.

I'm looking forward to this new (to us anyway) range.

-ivan-
IPSC is a game of high-speed precision. If you don't precisely plan what you want to happen, there's not much chance that it will. - Brian Enos

Rocky Mountain House Range 12 Jun 2015 10:23 #12843

• Chemtrailer
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't "+2" me!!
  • Thank you received: 408
Finally, some good news.
Thanks to one and all who are involved in this endeavour.
Is this thing on?

Rocky Mountain House Range 12 Jun 2015 22:10 #12847

• Heckler
Skytop, It has been @ 3 years since I was in the big blue c-can but there should be 6-8 prefab mesh walls, 30+ target stands, fences etc.... in there unless it all got destroyed.
You and I were supposed to meet a month ago but work got in the way for me.
We should try and organise a few fun shoots. shoot me an e-mail or call sometime and we can try to work something out. Uegene has my number or you can get me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Rocky Mountain House Range 12 Jun 2015 22:10 #12848

• ndabrens
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273
Sweet. I think this make a lot of sense. maybe even a lot of cents. Perhaps, even, a lot of scents (gunpowder smells sooo good).

ND
Nick Dabrensky
Account Manager - Hilti North America
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
403-471-5553
CCFR Member

Member Login

By logging in, I agree to the Terms & Conditions