Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: USPSA

In Lieu of IPSC Qualifier, USPSA? 06 Sep 2016 17:11 #17113

• Irish
Walter just some feedback from me as this is the first match I have ever MDed, what I liked about the USPSA MD responsibility:

- Setup of the match was shared by all, in other words I did not need to take a day off work and setup only took a couple of hours (this was huge for me)
- My responsibility was just to come up with the stage design and coordinate stage setup the day of so the stages reflected what I intended, having a few of the seasoned shooters there meant I could put them in charge of stage setup supervision and I was just overseeing setup and answering the finer detailed questions, I used them as the stage bosses so they got it 95% of the way there working off the paper copy.

- I wasnt on the hook for anything else, Jeff/Duanne went over the safety rules and general instructions of how the match will run - They have done it before so the briefing was short and sweet and well said.

With the current state of shooting ranges in Alberta and with more matches at less ranges this means under the IPSC format a smaller group of people will be MDing and setting up all of the matches which will cause burnout, using the USPSA format the MD could be in another part of the province but could still MD even though they have to travel.

Realizing that IPSC qaulifiers have more people which equals more stages and setup will take longer it just requires smooth coordination the day of, you could take a step further and have your stage bosses identified up front and coordinating the day of setup activities could be done remotely using Skype or Webex as a way to collaborate.

I understand things have changed since I shot IPSC, practiscore and tablets are being used I would think there would be more time in the day to facilitate the setup as the stand around BS time after the match waiting for stats is eliminated. Not sure what IPSC does these days but USPSA waves match fees for the MD and while not of money that was nice (Action shooters are cheap so this is good)

Anyways just some of my thoughts based on my first expirience as a USPSA MD. I thought it went well.

Scott or Scoot as Walter calls me :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

In Lieu of IPSC Qualifier, USPSA? 06 Sep 2016 21:10 #17114

• WalterHornby
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 362
I don't know why people think there is a difference between the duties of the MD in IPSC and USPSA. In IPSC the MD duties are described in rule 7.1.6 Match Director (“MD”) – Handles overall match administration including squadding, scheduling, range construction, the coordination of all support staff and the provision of services. His authority and decisions
will prevail with regard to all matters except in respect of matters in these rules which are the domain of the
Range Master. The Match Director is appointed by the host organization and works with the Range Master.

IN USPSA it is rule 7.1.7 Match Director (“MD”) – handles overall match administration including squadding, scheduling, range construction, the coordination of all support staff and the provision of services. His authority and decisions will prevail with regard to all matters except in respect of matters in these rules which are the domain of the Range Master. The Match Director is appointed by the host organization and works with the Range Master.

Exactly the same duties.

Normally the MD is suppose to be the 'Manager" of the match. He gets the stage design done (he doesn't have to do them he just has to get enough stages for the match which usually depends on the level of the match and the size of the range) schedule the range build and handles problems as they come up.

The only difference that i see Scoot is that you had help. In the old days they were usually a dozen people coming out to help build a match. A good MD would assign 2 or 3 people to each stage and then supervise construction. I can remember many a match where we use to build 8 stages in Lethbridge usually in a day and a evening. Usually 2 or 3 of us would go to the range Thursday night and lay out 2 ICS stage and then on Friday a group of us would build the other 6 stages. You don't say how many stages you built for the USPSA match but it sounds to me like you had enough help so that each range had a crew responsible to build the stage (s) on that range. this is how it should be and it doesn't matter whither it is a USPSA match or an IPSC match. If people come out to help then it becomes easy. However when people don't want to come out and help and only want to show up to shot a match it gets very hard to have matches.

As far as i know there is no USPSA rule that states Md's get their matches free. I beleive that IPSC Alberta does waive the match fee for Md's for IPSC Alberta qualifiers.

The bottom line is that if people show up to work in numbers matches are easy. However the present generation seems to think that it is someone's else job to set up matches. for as long as this attitude exists MD's jobs are going to be hard.

My 2 cents Canadian on the matter.
DVC
Walter
wc-sales.ca

In Lieu of IPSC Qualifier, USPSA? 07 Sep 2016 08:09 #17116

• Irish
we had 10 helpers for 5 1/2 stages, Jeff and I setup the jungle run for the most part the night before.

As you said help is the key. The nice thing about setting up the day of is you don't help you don't shoot. Maybe that means less people coming out because they don't want to work but the loss would be theirs.

In Lieu of IPSC Qualifier, USPSA? 07 Sep 2016 09:48 #17121

• Sushi
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1086
We had 6 stages.

270 BDX Range x 2
50 East x 1
50 West x 2
Jungle Run (I'd put this one at 1.5x with 46 rounds...)

15 Total Shooters/Workers (3 Squads of 5).

It helps to set up the Jungle run Friday or Saturday afternoon (the day before). It seems to take the longest to set up and relieves a lot of work load the day of the match.
Last Edit: 07 Sep 2016 09:51 by Sushi.

In Lieu of IPSC Qualifier, USPSA? 07 Sep 2016 11:02 #17122

• Dragoon
Scott, as Walter said, there are no differences between IPSC and USPSA when it comes to MD responsibilities. In fact, from my experience shooting USPSA matches in Montana and NE Washington, some clubs set up the day before with a small crew of volunteers and others set up the morning of the match. It's up to the clubs to decide how to 'conduct their business'.

IPSC Alberta isn't 'broken'; at least not yet. But I think it's starting to show some 'cracks' that, if left to worsen, could do significant damage. I hope the leadership of IPSC Alberta realize this and are willing to 'break from tradition', 'think outside the box', and implement a creative 'paradigm shift' on how we conduct our matches...

My 2 cents....

In Lieu of IPSC Qualifier, USPSA? 07 Sep 2016 11:41 #17123

• Irish
Good to know and as I said not having shot IPSC for some time I am going back in my mind on history. I hope to start shooting IPSC again with the boys so would love to do some MDing, I really enjoyed it and as the boys are older and able bodied I hope to add some value other than just shooting :)

In Lieu of IPSC Qualifier, USPSA? 08 Sep 2016 19:43 #17132

• Chemtrailer
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't "+2" me!!
  • Thank you received: 408
IPSC vs USPSA matches ............ basically the same for all intents and purposes.

And that is a bit of a red herring if we're to discuss Match Directing for a 1-day, level 1 USPSA club match versus a 2-day level II IPSC dual qualifier.

Basically, the role and responsibilities of the MD at either (both) events is more or less the same, or at least very similar. They're captured in the chapter 7 rules etc ...... as has been pointed out.

The main difference in MDing these two matches lays in timeline and complexity.
I've MD'ed both.

The 1-day, level 1, USPSA club match allows for the set up, the shoot and the tear down all in the same day and involves less people ...... certainly far less than 120. There is time for everyone to show up in the morning, register and check-in, and then pitch in to help build the stages and shooting typically commences at ...................... 10:00am? 11:00am? It all really depends on how much building is to be done and how many people show up ............. and then you're only shooting 5 or 6 squads of 5 or 6 people, while self-ROing (easy to do when the RO doesn't have to remove his/her firearm all the time).

The Level II IPSC qualifier typically runs 6 squads of 10 people through in a half day ..... double that for 120 people for the entire day. First shots are typically VERY early (0700 - 0730 sometimes) and some matches tend to finish quite late, sometime at around 5pm leaving just enough time for stage reset or tear down and then a drive home. We don't have the luxury of time to build stages on a Saturday morning, and then commence shooting at 10:00am for 120 people. So, typically the MD and volunteers need to get out and get the build done on the Thursday and Friday prior to the match. The Saturday and Sunday are all consumed in competition ............ whereas the smaller, less complex level I match (be it IPSC or USPSA, doesn't matter) has the luxury of allowing for a build to be conducted on the Saturday morning.

So essentially we're not really talking about MDing differences between IPSC and USPSA matches (vis a vis "rules").
We need to be cognizant of the difference involved in MDing a level I club match with a few people and a level II qualifier with 120 people. They are two different things ..... and apple and an orange.

Just another 2 cents.
Is this thing on?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cuthach

In Lieu of IPSC Qualifier, USPSA? 09 Sep 2016 08:45 #17143

• Dragoon
You're quite correct in your analysis, Jer. So the question is: why does IPSC Alberta only schedule Level II matches? Why does IPSC Alberta not schedule (and support) Level I matches?

Member Login

By logging in, I agree to the Terms & Conditions