Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Custom Fit Ear Plugs: Looking for feedback

Custom Fit Ear Plugs: Looking for feedback 18 Apr 2018 09:27 #21026

• Camel
  • Thank you received: 15
I'm in the market for a set of custom fit ear plugs for shooting. As I've never owned a set (I've always used ear muffs) I'm a bit lacking on a starting point wrt vendors. I'm hoping folks here can offer some insight.

If you've had good or bad experience with a product I would be very interested in that info. Price isn't a big factor for me here, I am more interested in quality, comfort, function.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom Fit Ear Plugs: Looking for feedback 18 Apr 2018 10:25 #21028

• Sleeper
  • Thank you received: 28
I have a strong feeling that the responses to this will vary, but here’s mine:

I chose to get a pair from a guy that shows up to the occasional match. I think he sells three different variants: regular plugs, ones with percussion detection (or whatever they call it where you can hear normally but cancels out sounds beyond a certain decibel level), and ones with Bluetooth so you can pipe music in. I opted for the second option, which was a significant price increase, and I’m sorry I did. While they work fine as ear plugs, I saw no noticeable difference with the noise cancelling. It was all just like regular ear plugs. Furthermore, I found that the second time I tried them on they didn’t even fit properly anymore. A waste of money as far as I’m concerned. I cannot speak for the Bluetooth options. I reverted back to ear muffs.. far easier to put on and take off.

Custom Fit Ear Plugs: Looking for feedback 18 Apr 2018 10:35 #21029

• Camel
  • Thank you received: 15
Thanks for the feedback! Do you happen to recall the brand name of those plugs?

Custom Fit Ear Plugs: Looking for feedback 18 Apr 2018 11:26 #21031

• Sleeper
  • Thank you received: 28
Sorry, don’t remember the name of the company/guy who does it.

Custom Fit Ear Plugs: Looking for feedback 18 Apr 2018 12:21 #21033

• tmcmillan
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 220
I use custom molded for shooting and work. I highly recommend getting a place that uses a lab to make after the inital fitting as the instamold ones like Derek has don't work as well or feel as comfortable. I have noise cancelling at work but dont recommend that for shooting as it doesn't cancel the noise fast enough. Even my plugs at work have a secondary plug attached to a string that eliminates that feature. At work we use a company called Eko phone number is 780 216 1946 guys name is Brant Peters. I have pairs of both instamold and lab molded and use them both all the time for many activities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RufusParnell

Custom Fit Ear Plugs: Looking for feedback 18 Apr 2018 14:14 #21034

• Dragoon
I got a pair from Costco. Go to their hearing aid area. I paid $50.00 but that was about 10 years ago. I highly recommend them.

Custom Fit Ear Plugs: Looking for feedback 18 Apr 2018 15:36 #21036

I believe the name of the guy who was at provincials and nationals is Claud. His website is safeandsoundhearing.ca. I bought a pair of his filtered earplugs. His filters work well but I find the earplugs uncomfortable compared to lab molds.
Costco used to sell OTO lab molds for $50. When i was looking for a new pair last summer Costco in Red Deer told me they don't sell earplugs anymore. I have had multiple pairs of OTO earplugs and they have always been comfortable. Most hearing aid places use the same supplier.

Custom Fit Ear Plugs: Looking for feedback 18 Apr 2018 18:54 #21038

• XMIKE
  • Thank you received: 75
Our company uses:
Health Conservation Consultants
15108 - 118 Ave. NW
Edmonton, Alberta Canada T5V 1B8
Tel: 1-877-920-TEST (8378)
www.salotex.ca/smart-services/custom-fit...tion/solid-earplugs/

We use their Class A molded/lab fitted solid ear plugs. They have a 90 day fit guarantee and the process works like this:
You set up an appointment for fitting and you arrive with clean ears. Fitting takes about 30 minutes and after that you can leave. They take your mold and supply a set of custom fitted solid or other style ear plugs in any colour you desire.
They mail the ear plugs to you and the process takes 2 weeks.
They store your personal lab mold for 5 years so that when it comes time to reorder they can just mail the plugs to you. No need for another lab appointment.
The web site says they have people around the province who can fit you.
The last time HCC did it for us they had 3 lab people doing the fitting and audiologists on site to perform hearing tests. I have 2 pairs.and I use them all the time for work and shooting.
All of their pricing and ear plug types are on their web site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RufusParnell
  • Page:

Member Login

By logging in, I agree to the Terms & Conditions