Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ballistics and Blast Trauma First Aid Workshop

Ballistics and Blast Trauma First Aid Workshop 21 May 2018 19:33 #21276

• mitch
  • Thank you received: 15
Have you ever been to an outdoor range to practice and wondered what you would do if someone was accidentally shot?

Well this has been on my mind lately, and as a result I have contacted a local Calgary company who can offer emergency first aid training for gunshot wounds. The workshop would be 8 hours in length and offered on a weekday in Calgary. The exact location and date has not been scheduled until there is enough interest. The instructor requires 6 individuals min. and 15 max. The cost would be approx. $180.00 per person. I have attached the workshop synopsis. The instructor profile is seen below.

If you are intially interested, please send me a private email.

Lyall
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Instructor Profile
Paul Rankin

After leaving the Royal Navy, Paul became a Police Officer in London, U.K. During numerous operations and large scale public disorder and terrorist incidents, he quickly gained a reputation as being a very capable Public Order medic. He later joined the Counter-Terrorism Firearms Unit where he developed an interest in ballistic trauma. Paul quickly rose to become the lead Firearms Medic Instructor for the unit where he trained with numerous policing agencies, civilian EMS and military units. He carried out this role in addition to maintaining his status as an operational tactical firearms officer. His keen interest and subject knowledge resulted in him representing his force on various bodies where he assisted in the development of police tactical medicine at a national level.
Paul was frequently on attachment with the London Ambulance Service where he was able to further develop his knowledge and skills on the busy streets of London. These experiences fuelled his desire to be able to provide a higher level of pre-hospital care for his patients. He went on to gain professional level qualifications which include, Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS), Medicine in Remote Areas (MIRA) and Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) from the Royal College of Surgeons where achieved “Instructor Recommendation” grades, extremely rare for non-medical professionals.
Paul emigrated to Alberta in 2016 where he found that his training in urban and “austere environment” medicine translated well to remote and wilderness medicine.

File Attachment:

File Name: Ballistictraumaworkshopsynopsis.pdf
File Size: 59 KB
Last Edit: 21 May 2018 19:57 by mitch.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pilgrim, Dooby, ndabrens, Tobles

Ballistics and Blast Trauma First Aid Workshop 22 May 2018 21:07 #21297

• David
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61
This would be great if combined with a standard first aid cert. How many ppl have theirs up to date?

Ballistics and Blast Trauma First Aid Workshop 24 May 2018 12:29 #21312

• mitch
In response to Dave’s worthwhile comments. To clarify, I’m not a part of the IPSC Executive and hold no other position than being a member of IPSC; I certainly do not speak on behalf of IPSC Alberta.

Those who desire or are required to take the Standard First Aid course can contact such agencies as St. John’s Ambulance (SJA) or Canadian Red Cross (CRA). The course requires 16 hours of class time, including practical and written examinations to obtain the certification. To combine the Ballistic Workshop with a Standard First Aid course would require 3 days.

When I was exploring my desire to take an advanced course dealing with gunshot trauma care, I found that there is only one company that provides such as a course. Neither SJA nor CRC offers any such course or workshop. My intention was to provide other interested individuals to join me in taking a Ballistic Trauma Care workshop.

To date there are 6 others interested and so the workshop will proceed.
Last Edit: 24 May 2018 12:42 by mitch.

Ballistics and Blast Trauma First Aid Workshop 24 May 2018 13:02 #21313

• Hawk
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Mitch, do you have a date for the course? I would be interested.

Frank Terner
403-861-3190 cell

Ballistics and Blast Trauma First Aid Workshop 24 May 2018 13:47 #21314

• mitch
See next message
Last Edit: 24 May 2018 13:50 by mitch.

Ballistics and Blast Trauma First Aid Workshop 24 May 2018 13:48 #21315

• mitch
There are still five spots open for the course.

The date has not been scheduled, yet. I will send out a text in the near future, to all of the individuals who have shown an interest and request their available dates. Hopefully, we can find a mutually agreeable date. Thank you.

Lyall
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 24 May 2018 13:51 by mitch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dooby

Ballistics and Blast Trauma First Aid Workshop 24 May 2018 13:48 #21316

• mitch
No message
Last Edit: 24 May 2018 13:52 by mitch.

Ballistics and Blast Trauma First Aid Workshop 24 May 2018 16:45 #21317

• Zed
  • Thank you received: 11
"When I was exploring my desire to take an advanced course dealing with gunshot trauma care, I found that there is only one company that provides such as a course. "

Check out the CTOMS courses. They are excellent, with an online component and in person component.

Z
  • Page:

Member Login

By logging in, I agree to the Terms & Conditions